Bread with oil recipe (hobż biż-żejt)
This easy and ultra-delicious snack is Malta's answer to Italian bruschetta. Slices of sourdough bread are shallow-fried then topped with tomato pesto, basil, capers and a crumbling of ricotta.
- vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
- ½sourdough loaf, sliced
- 70 g(¼ cup) tomato pesto
- ½red onion, finely chopped
- 50 g(¼ cup) salted capers, rinsed, drained
- ½ cup basil leaves
- 75 g(½ cup) pitted black olives, sliced
- 200g fresh ricotta, crumbled
- 60 ml(¼ cup) olive oil
Heat 1 cm oil in a large, deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add bread slices and cook, turning once, for 4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove using a slotted spoon, drain and cool on paper towel.
Spread bread slices with pesto. Top with onion, caper, basil, olive and ricotta, drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.